Wednesday, January 2, 2008

J.C. Montgomery's Challenge List

I bought The Best American Short Stories 2007 late last year and have only gotten through about 6 stories. As there are 20 to choose from, I believe that reading another 10 will be no problem. It is a wonderful anthology, and a great way to be introduced to several writers with whom I am unfamiliar. My first choices are:
  1. "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" by Karen Russell
  2. "Wake" by Beverly Jensen
  3. "Riding the Doghouse" by Randy DeVita
  4. "Wait" by Roy Kesey
  5. "Sans Farine" by Jim Shepard
  6. "Horseman" by Richard Russo
  7. "Dimension" by Alice Munro
  8. "The Bris" by Eileen Pollack
  9. "Where Will You Go When Your Skin Cannot Contain You?" by William Gay
  10. "Eleanor's Music" by Mary Gordon

I do have to say that if anyone has not leafed through this anthology, I recommend beginning with Stephen King's introduction. In it, he gives his opinion on the status of the American short story. It was surprising, and a little depressing, but I am perhaps a little more optimistic - especially when I come across blog's such as Kate's and A Curious Singularity.

It is my hope that through this challenge, I come to appreciate the short story even more, as well as the writers who still "care passionately" about the form. I can't wait to start!

No comments: