- "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" by Karen Russell
- "Wake" by Beverly Jensen
- "Riding the Doghouse" by Randy DeVita
- "Wait" by Roy Kesey
- "Sans Farine" by Jim Shepard
- "Horseman" by Richard Russo
- "Dimension" by Alice Munro
- "The Bris" by Eileen Pollack
- "Where Will You Go When Your Skin Cannot Contain You?" by William Gay
- "Eleanor's Music" by Mary Gordon
I do have to say that if anyone has not leafed through this anthology, I recommend beginning with Stephen King's introduction. In it, he gives his opinion on the status of the American short story. It was surprising, and a little depressing, but I am perhaps a little more optimistic - especially when I come across blog's such as Kate's and A Curious Singularity.
It is my hope that through this challenge, I come to appreciate the short story even more, as well as the writers who still "care passionately" about the form. I can't wait to start!