Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bridget's List

OK, I have a list that will likely be the one I complete, or stick with most of the time (it was hard for me to choose!). I'm going with Option 5 also:

This is the custom option under the rubric of which you can tailor your reading list to best meet your personal reading aspirations. You might wish to craft a list that focuses on a particular place, or era, or genre. Or you might wish to include reading about short stories as well as of short stories, for example, such works as Frank O’Connor’s The Lonely Voice: A Study of the Short Story. It’s entirely up to you.

So here we go:

1. Why I Live at the P.O., by Eudora Welty - I chose this because it is one of my very favorite short stories, and I haven't read it for years, so I thought it was time to get reacquainted.

2. In Sunshine Or In Shadow : Stories by Irish Women - I had planned to read this for another challenge, but got sidetracked by a different book, so this challenge seemed like an even better match!

3. Strange Pilgrims, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I've had this for a while, but seeing someone else mention it reminded me that I wanted to read it.

4. The Art of the Short Story, by Dana Gioia and R.S. Gwynn - I have read a couple of reviews of this, and it sounds like a good, basic introduction to short stories from writers of all kinds. Since my short story experience is pretty hit-and-miss, I thought it would be good to include one book with a variety of authors.

Time to get started ...

No comments: