Saturday, November 22, 2008

Stories by Vladimir Nabokov


In his stories, Vladimir Nabokov so perfectly captures a character, or a setting, or an emotion, that I feel that the character is real, the setting surrounds me, and the emotion is my own.

His writing in these stories is so well done that I, a very amateur writer, feel the urge to try my hand at capturing the images around me, a task I will surely fail because I know I will never even remotely measure up to Nabokov’s incredible talent.

The unfortunate aspect of reading more than 60 of Nabokov’s short stories in one month is that the characters he so adroitly creates, the settings he so carefully draws, and the feelings he so perfectly captures are, for the most part, miserable, gloomy, and ultimately depressing. Also, some of his stories have fantastical elements that failed to resonate with me, and most dwell on negative aspects of human nature - subjects that weren’t pleasant for reading in bulk.

But I feel that the overall quality of Vladimir Nabokov’s writing is so extraordinary that he should be read simply for the marvelous experience that comes from reading his words, even if the reader doesn’t necessarily consider the negative underlying themes amazing.

Nabokov’s stories tend to be rather sad. My two favorite stories happened to be the least unpleasant. A number of other stories have also stayed with me.

Two Stories

In “First Love,” a man reflects on his first love. In the course of his description of a childhood summer’s events, it’s unclear to the reader whether his first love was traveling by overnight train; swimming at the beach; learning about butterflies; or meeting the little French girl, Colette. This story doesn’t have much plot or grand finale, but it is a beautiful story that I’ve already reread three times.

In “The Vane Sisters” story, a man reflects on his relationships with two sisters, one of whom was once his girlfriend. It also is incredibly subtle. (Highlight to read spoiler.) Nabokov’s subtle ending tells us that this man’s life really hasn’t been all that affected by the life and then the death of these sisters. It’s kind of depressing for the sisters, but an interesting realization for the man. It made me think about my own life and relationships. What impact do certain people have on me? For example, how often do I think about old boyfriends? Did they really impact my life significantly?

Other Stories

While I can only see myself rereading those two stories, there are a number of other stories that I keep remembering, even after starting the next story. Note that I do think Nabokov’s writing improved through the years; if you read the 60+ story volume as I did, start in the middle or go backward.

Here are some that stayed with me, with short introductions.

  • That in Aleppo Once…” His wife never existed, he’s sure of it.
  • A Forgotten Poet.” A dead poet arrives at the banquet held in his honor.
  • A Guide to Berlin.” One man recounts the small details of Berlin.
  • Music.” At a recital, a man sees his ex-wife across the room.
  • Perfection.” A very proper tutor is asked to take his young charge to the sea shore.
  • The Visit to the Museum.” A man goes to a museum to acquire a painting for a friend - and gets lost inside.
  • An Affair of Honor.” A man finds that his wife is having an affair with his friend, an ex-cavalry man, and he must fight a duel to save his good honor.
  • A Slice of Life.” The woman once loved him; now that his wife has left him, he has come to her to get drunk and commiserate.
  • The Dragon.” A dragon awakes after his ten-century slumber.
  • The Fight.” The elderly man he sees at the beach is also the bartender; he observes one night’s bar fight.
  • The Potato Elf.” A small dwarf in the circus seeks love.
  • Terra Incognita.” A group of bug collectors in the tropics get sick, lost, and angry at one another, as told from the perspective of the ill, delirious man.
  • The Reunion.” Two brothers, one living in Russia and one an émigré in Germany, meet after ten years.
  • Breaking the News.” The elderly, deaf woman’s son has died, and no one wants to tell her.
  • Cloud, Castle, Lake.” A man is forced into his first vacation, and he’s hoping that he’ll find the elusive happiness he seeks.
  • The Thunderstorm.” A man awakens in a storm to see Elijah dropping his mantle for Elisha.
I highly recommend reading at least one or two stories by Nabokov. His writing is amazing!

Cross-posted, with more detailed thoughts on his writing, at Rebecca Reads

1 comment:

Justin said...

I recommend Terror.